As the school-year draws to a close, the young ones are getting themselves prepared for a long summer of fun-filled holidays, but it can be quite difficult keeping them entertained. Fortunately for those in the Pretoria area, Montana Family Market has the perfect festive season line-up for youngsters at its flea-market-style shopping complex situated opposite the Kolonnade Mall.
5 Activities for Kids in the Holidays
So what can the kids do at Montana Family Markets during the holidays?
- Puppet and theatre shows
Puppet and theatre shows can provide hours of entertainment and laughs for kiddies. The hilarious voices and slap stick humour often has the kids rolling on the floor with laughter. What better way to start the holiday season than with some good old-fashioned entertainment in the form of a puppet or theatre show.
The following shows will be taking place at Montana Family Market:
- Saturday, 25 November 12pm to 12.45pm: Puppet show by Professor Buncklaus and his amazing robot, ZED.
- Sunday, 3 December 12pm to 12.45pm: Tjiff and Tjaff show.
- Putt-putt and other games
Not only is putt-putt a fun game to play, but it is also beneficial for children to learn the art of concentration, focus and team-spirit. Putt-putt provides a fun, outdoor activity that can be played for hours and offers great entertainment to children from the age of 5 and upwards. So get down to Montana Family Market and watch the kids putt a hole in one! Paintball is another exciting way for the kids to run around and use up their energy. By firing shots of paint at one another and finding places to hide, paintball provides a safe environment for kids (especially boys) to let their imaginations run wild. They are usually exhausted after a good game of paintball.
- Saturday 9 December 9am to 2pm: 9-hole putt-putt (R10 per child)
- Saturday 16 December 9am to 1pm: Paintball competition (R10 per round and stand a chance to win a paintball voucher).
- Arts and crafts
Arts and crafts are an excellent way for children to spend their time and let their creative juices flow. Spending hours painting, drawing, pasting and making all sorts of weird and wonderful things provides excellent stimulation and boredom-breaking opportunities. The end product is of course a great achievement; however it’s the process of creating that’s more important. It teaches children patience, persistence as well as stimulates creativity and imagination. Montana Family Market prides itself on the fantastic arts and crafts activities it has on offer for kids, and year after year the children flock to the market to see what new activity is available.
- Saturday 14 December 11am to 1pm: Make your own snow globe.
- Thursday 21 December 11am to 1pm: Make your own potplant.
- Saturday 23 December 11am to 1pm: Colouring competition – stand a chance to win a Christmas hamper!
- Saturday 30 December 11am to 1pm: Make a 2018 calendar
The Montana Family Market Holiday Arts’ Programme
Montana Family Market is making sure that every child finds something fun to do this festive season which is why they will also be running a not-to-be-missed holiday art’s programme from 11 to 22 December, 11am to 1pm. This is the perfect space for all those art-loving 5 to 12-year-olds. Run by Montana’s arts’ facilitator, Talia van der Westhuizen, this fun holiday programme will bring out the inner artist for a small R10 fee for materials.
- Monday 11 December: Christmas card.
- Tuesday 12 December: Sand art in a bottle
- Wednesday 13 December: Pet rocks.
- Thursday 14 December: Snow globes.
- Friday 15 December: Make your own pizza
- Monday 18 December: Sand art in a bottle.
- Tuesday 19 December: Aeroplanes
- Wednesday 20 December: Christmas tree
- Thursday 21 December: Make your own plant pot
- Friday 22 December: Make your own pizza
- Wonderful shows to watch
Apart from puppet shows, Montana Family Markets also has a number of other shows on its calendar. There are reptile shows where kids can see slithery snakes, lazy lizards and other creepy crawlies and learn more about their habitats and habits. Magic shows are always a hit with kids and they are usually flabbergasted by the amazing feats the magicians pull off. Whether it’s pulling a rabbit from a hat or disappearing in smoke, the kids are sure to be spell-bound for the entire show.
- Saturday 2 December 9am to 1pm: Wacky Reptile Show.
- Saturday 2 December 10.30am to 1.30pm: Face painting, magic show, storytelling.
- Montana Family Market Birthday Weekend
As well as the festive fun, Montana is celebrating its birthday with a bang on Saturday, 2 December and Sunday, 3 December by rewarding its customers with a weekend of entertainment. Children will be kept enthralled on Saturday from 9am to 1pm with the enjoyable Wacky Reptile Show featuring a number of scaly friends including the Diamondback Rattle Snake, Australian stick insect and Leopard gecko with a host of reptilian-themed prizes up for grabs. From 10.30am to 1.30am children can enjoy a magic show, listen to captivating tales during storytelling or get their faces painted.
The fun continues on Sunday, 3 December with Carnival Games and Shows organised to keep the children busy from 9am to 5pm while the Tjiff and Tjaff show, running from 12pm to 12.45pm, will have them in stitches.
Don’t miss out on any of this holiday fun for kids by getting down to Montana Family Market, situated on the corner of Enkeldoorn Avenue and Sefako Makgatho Drive, Pretoria, just across from Kolonnade Mall. Parents can also enjoy a diverse shopping experience at any of the 500 plus stalls, take in some live music entertainment or enjoy a bite to eat – all at Montana - while the children have fun!